If you are a current tenant of the Housing Authority and you receive a jail sentence of 6 months or less you may be able to sub-let your property with the consent of the Housing Authority. You may also keep up the rental payments yourself if you do not want to sub-let.

If you are partnered and your partner is a part of the tenancy agreement, your partner will have their rental payments reduced according to their reduced income, on application. The tenancy may be formally transferred into the partners name depending on the circumstances.  An example would be that you are incarcerated for longer than 6 months and you have children that are living with your partner.

A tenant who is sentenced to a term of imprisonment that is longer than 6 months will be required to formally vacate their tenancy and reapply for housing assistance upon release.

| | | Next → |