If you do not agree with a decision that has been made against you by the Department of Housing you may be able to lodge an appeal. There is a standard appeal form which you can obtain from any Department of Housing office or their website. Housing Appeals Mechanism Request Form

You need to fill out the form and lodge it with the department

Your appeal will be reviewed by a Senior Review Officer who will then decide if it will be heard by the Regional Appeals Committee.

What sort of decisions can you appeal against?

  • Rental housing applications
  • Bond assistance
  • Priority housing assistance applications
  • Tenant liability charges
  • Property transfer applications
  • Tenant eligibility.

The decisions are reviewed by a panel who were not involved in making the original decision.

You have 12 months to appeal a decision. Anything outside this time limit and you would need to write to the Regional Manager for a decision at his or hers discretion.

What decisions can’t be appealed?

  • Decisions made by a court or have been the subject of court action
  • Decisions on the sale or purchase of the department’s assets
  • Decisions that were made or being considered by the Minister of Housing or the state Ombudsman
  • Decisions to end a fixed term tenancy
  • Strikes given under the Disruptive Behaviour Management Policy

The Regional Appeals Committee

This committee is made up of two people from the general community and an officer from the department.  You can take a friend, a family member or an advocate from a support agency to assist you at the committee hearing.

The Committee will ask questions about your case and if you have extra evidence and documentation you should present it

The Department states that it aims to decide on all appeals within 60 days receiving it. For further information an appeal policy is available on the Department of Housing website as is a maintenance policy at http://www.dhw.wa.gov.au/currenttenants/publichousing/Pages/default.aspx