For people with disabilities living in Western Australia there are several concessions that may be available.

For more information about concessions available please visit ‘Concessions WA’

You can filter by category, card type or people group.

Concession and Health Care Cards


People receiving an income support payment from Centrelink may be eligible for a concession card or

health care card. It will depend on which payment you receive, your age and individual living situation

such as if you have any dependents (children).

There are a range of cards/concessions available and these include:

Pensioner Concession Card

You may be eligible for this card if you receive any of the following payments – Age Pension, Carer Payment, Disability Support Pension, Newstart Allowance or Parenting Payment Single. Benefits can include entitlements relating to medication costs and the ability to bulk bill for doctor’s appointments. Concessions may be available on utility bills, reduced rates for property and water and reduced fares on public transport.

You do not need to apply for this card with Centrelink. If you are eligible, you will automatically receive the card as long as you continue to meet the criteria. Cards are valid for two years.

See list of eligible payments

Health Care Card

Provides assistance with the cost of prescription medication and medical services. You may be eligible for this card depending on what type of income payment you receive from Centrelink. The Health Care Card provides cheaper prescription medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS).

Cards are valid for one year as long as you continue to meet the eligibility requirements.

Companion Card


Available to people in WA who have a significant life-long disability that impacts on their ability to access and/or participate in activities and events. This card may only be applied for by the person with the disability. There is no cost in applying for the Companion Card.

When using a Companion Card, your ‘companion’ may not be required to pay for the ticket price or activity cost at participating venues as they are there to support you in the activity. When booking tickets online or attending activities with a companion, remember to check with the business or organisation first to ensure that you can use this card.

Link to online application form

Organisations that currently accept WA Companion Cards

Taxi Users Subsidy Scheme (TUSS)


The Taxi Users Subsidy Scheme (TUSS) grants eligible people with disabilities a reduced travel rate to pay for the cost of taxis. To be eligible a person must have a severe and permanent disability that impacts on their ability to utilise everyday public services like public transport without significant assistance. To be eligible for TUSS you must have one or more of the specified disability categories – disability which affects mobility, vision (diagnosed as legally blind) or a severe cognitive/intellectual disability.

To apply you must complete the application form (Part A) and your doctor needs to fill in Part B. You will need to give reasons as to why you cannot independently use public transport. You will be required to get a recent coloured photograph of you and this needs to be certified by your doctor.

If eligible you may receive either:

A 50% reduced rate which can be up to a maximum cost of $25 for a single trip, or

If you use a wheelchair or scooter, you may receive 75% reduced rate and up to $35 maximum cost for a single trip.

You will be granted a TUSS membership for 5 years and receive a book of taxi vouchers and a membership card. These vouchers can be used in any taxi including ones designed specifically for wheelchair access. After 5 years, you will be reassessed. The TUSS scheme is available through the Department of Transport.

Link to application form under ‘How Do I Apply?’

Thermoregulatory Dysfunction Energy Subsidy


This subsidy can assist eligible people with disabilities with financial assistance relating to the cost of operating/controlling temperature within their home. It is available to people who, because of their disability, have difficulty in maintaining and controlling their body temperature. Due to this difficulty, that person may be at risk of additional health issues.

To be eligible you must hold a means tested concession card and require heating and cooling in your home due to your disability. This must be confirmed by a medical specialist.

Application forms and eligibility criteria can be found online



If you would like some assistance in finding out more information about any of these concessions, other concessions that may be available to you or assistance filling in paperwork/forms, please call Midlas on 9250 2123 to book an appointment with a Disability Advocate.

Midlas Mission: We partner with individuals and organisations to promote independence, strength and wellbeing in our community through support, advocacy and education.