NAIDOC Week is next week and the theme “Our Languages Matter”aims to emphasise and celebrate the unique and essential role that Indigenous languages play in cultural identity, linking people to their land and water and in the transmission of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, spirituality and rites, through story and song.
Did you know…
- There were over 250 distinct Indigenous language groups prior to European settlement?
- Many of these languages had different dialects?
- Today there are only 120 of these languages still being spoken?
- Each language is associated with an area of land?
- Indigenous languages are so much more than a means of communication – they express knowledge about Law, geography, history, family, relationships, philosophy, religion, anatomy, childcare, health, caring for country, astronomy, biology and food?
- Language is how Indigenous nations maintain connection to their land, law and ancestors?
- The host city for the 2017 National NAIDOC Awards is Cairns, Queensland?
For more information please go to http://www.naidoc.org.au/2017-national-naidoc-theme
As in years past, Midlas will be present at the Midland NAIDOC celebrations on the Midland Oval on Morrison Road. This is on Tuesday 4th July from 10am to 2.30pm.
Midlas will be hosting a stall with fun colouring in activities, playdough activities and animal language to learn and have fun with.
We would love to see you there!
For further information about this great event please go to http://www.naidoc.org.au/event/midland-naidoc-0
Midlas Mission: We partner with individuals and organisations to promote independence, strength and wellbeing in our community through support, advocacy and education.