If you should have any penalty fees or interest from undeclared past income, ask them to explain their figures and – if you dispute them – ask them what you need to do to object to their assessment or get a neutral third party to review it.

If you don’t dispute it, the ATO will help you come to an affordable repayment arrangement and have the power to waive penalties if they can see you’re making an honest go of making good on your debt.

If all this sounds too confusing or difficult, you can always come see a Financial Counsellor for information and assistance. Call Midlas on 08 9250 2123 to make a free, confidential appointment or – if you live too far away – call 1800 007 007 to find someone closer.

| ← Previous | | | Next → |